Monday, March 19, 2012

Recipe: Penang Peanut Burgers

I'm pretty proud of these... I had thawed a package of ground beef, but didn't know what I was going to do with it.  I needed to feed my family, plus three others..I know these sound a little odd, and my guests were a bit.. trepidacious...

But everyone cleaned their plates!

I used Teeny Tiny Spice Company of Vermont's Penang Curry.  It's a pretty fantastic spice mix - if you can't find it, you could use another kind of curry, but it is not going to be quite the same... still, I love playing with flavors in my food - and I encourage you to, also!

I served these bun-less with some extra sauce on the side, along with some roasted cauliflower popcorn, and some roasted potatoes.  Yums!

Penang Peanut Burgers

Burgers:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 Tbsp Teeny Tiny Spice Co. Penang Curry (or another curry mix, but it won't be the same..)
1 Tbsp barbecue sauce
1/4 c peanuts
1 Tbsp chopped onion

Sauce:
1/2 c peanuts
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp barbecue sauce



Mix together beef, most of the Penang curry spice, and barbecue sauce.  Mold into 12 small patties (I used my slider mold - with assist from The Boy!)


Chop the 1/4 c of peanuts for the burgers finely.  Mix in the onion and another sprinkle of the Penang curry.  Make an indentation in half of the patties.  Fill with a spoonful of the peanut mixture.

Top with another patty.  Pinch edges of the patties to enclose the filling.  Broil for 5 minutes, then flip the burgers and broil for another 5 minutes.

Combine the sauce ingredients in a food processor and mix into a paste.  Serve alongside the burgers.  (Or, if you serve them on a bun, spread the bun with the sauce).


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen a slider mold! Is that a Kiss the Cook gadget? Thanks for posting another Teeny Tiny Spice recipe.

    ReplyDelete