Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss! Yertle the Turtle Rolls


We love Dr. Seuss around here.  I've done Dr. Seuss themed lunches before in honor of his birthday.  I've done Green Eggs & Ham - two ways!  I've made oobleck - edible and non-edible.


This year, I'm participating in the Bento Blogger & Friends Dr. Seuss Blog Hop!  And... the kids are on vacation!  What's a Seuss lover to do?

Make Yertle the Turtle bread, of course!

I based my bread recipe on this recipe from King Arthur Flour,  with a couple changes, as noted below.

Yertle the Turtle Bread

1 1/3 c warm water
4 Tbsp oil
1/2 c dark amber maple syrup (real, please.  If you don't have syrup, use honey)
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 c Harvest grains blend (optional)
2 1/2 tsp yeast


Combine ingredients in bread machine in the order specified by your machine.  Set to dough cycle.
Upside down turtle
When the dough is ready, form your turtles.  Make a palm sized "shell" piece, and small balls for legs and tail, along with a slightly larger oblong piece for the head.  Attach the appendages to the bottom of the shell using a dab of water on each piece.

Slash designs into the top of the shell using a lame or a very sharp knife.   Place on a baking sheet.  When all your turtles are shaped, cover with a cloth and allow to rise for at least 40 minutes, or until slightly puffy.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the turtles shells sound hollow when tapped.  Spray the finished rolls with butter flavored baking spray (or rub with butter), then wrap in a towel and put into a bag to cool.  This will keep them soft.


And now that you've seen my turtles, hop on over to Crystal's Ramblings and then onward to the whole group of Bento Bloggers & Friends fun tributes to the genius that is Dr. Seuss! 


Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. AHH I LOVE THEM!! Mail me some. stat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I waited to see this and looks cute and yummy:) Feeling hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and amazing as always!! I want some!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Those turtles look yummy and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously? You rock my socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah.. that turtle bread is epic! you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those turtles are adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUCH a good job with the bread, I'm impressed!

    -Emily
    Bentobloggy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so jealous of your bread. you're so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing idea! Wish I had some, yum!

    Nina
    mamabelly-luncheswithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOODNESS! They turned out perfect! You are a bread artist!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazed, as always, by your mad baking skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a genius! Makes me want to attempt baking again. Adore the pattern in their "shells".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the turtle bread!! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete