Thursday, March 10, 2011

Recipe: Rainbow Rolls

There's a reason that every loaf of bread I make is not rainbow bread.
And that's after I washed my hands...
This is why.

Yup.  But, I had this idea of making rolls instead of a loaf of bread, and it was worth the tie-dyed hands, I think.

The method is the same as my standard rainbow pain de mie, but the recipe is slightly different.  Once the dough was rolled up, I cut it into even slices, and formed them into rolls.

Worked out well, I think!


Rainbow Rolls


1 c water
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
1/4 c nonfat dried milk
1/2 c instant mashed potato flakes
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Gel food coloring (desired colors)

Combine ingredients for bread in machine as recommended by your machine.  Set to dough cycle.  Once the dough is finished it's second rise, separate into even parts for each color you intend on using.

To each ball of dough, add enough gel food coloring to reach desired color.  Knead well.

* A note: If you are gun shy about using food coloring, check out this great site to get all-natural food coloring!  I haven't tried it yet, but it is on my to-do list.  :)


Roll each color out into an oblong rectangle.  Layer colors on top of each other and roll out flat together, until they are a large, thin rectangle.  Mine is about 18"x12".
Look, Ma.. no air bubbles!
Tightly roll the dough like a jelly roll, squeezing the roll to be sure that there are not any air bubbles.

Cut the roll into equal pieces.  I got 20 rolls out of mine.

Flatten each piece slightly and round out any sharp edges.  Place rolls on baking sheets, cover lightly with a towel, and allow to rise for about 1 hour.
All risen and ready to bake!
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Remove towel from the rolls and bake for 20-25 minutes.  When they are done cooking, rub each roll with a little butter, and cover with a towel in a bowl to cool.  Enjoy!


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, you are a rainbow bread rock star! These are awesome :) Thanks for linking to the Rainbow Connection too!

    ReplyDelete