Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Recipe: Rainbow Cupcakes

It should come as no surprise that I love rainbows.

The Girl's birthday is today, and she asked for rainbow cupcakes.  I've made a full sized cake before, but this is my first try at the cupcakes.

It would have been better if I had more muffin pans.  I used my cool tall & skinny ikea muffin pan, but I only had one.  And I made 48 cupcakes.  A regular muffin pan would have been better, I think.  These tall skinny muffins have the propensity to lose their tops. 

It's really a method, more than a recipe.  I used white cake mix, and used 12 oz. of plain seltzer in it instead of oil, water, and egg.  I have a Sodastream soda maker, so seltzer is easy to come by.

Then I divided the cake mix (I used two mixes) into 6 bowls and stirred in gel food colorings to make the colors of the rainbow.
Red...

Red + Orange + Yellow

Adding green

All the colors


Into cupcake cups, spoon a small amount (about a teaspoon or two, depending on the size of your cups) of each color.  Layer the colors on top of each other.
All swirled

When all the colors are done, draw an "x" in each cupcake with a toothpick, and swirl the top slightly if desired.

Bake according to your cake mix directions (mine was 350, 12 minutes), then cool on wire racks.

Frost as desired and enjoy.



Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I did something similar to this in a bundt pan. You layer the colors horizontally, but when you cut it, turn each piece on its side and you have your rainbow! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous! What a wonderful treat for your daughter. I continue to be in awe of your creativity and commitment to great food! Keep up the excellent work. I'll continue to be inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete