Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Recipe: Shaped Sandwich Thins

I recently fell in love with Pepperidge Farms Goldfish Sandwich Thins.  They are simply adorable.

But, I hate buying bread.

So, naturally, I needed to try to make them myself.  One of my lovely readers found this recipe, and it looked great.  I used whey because I just made some fresh yogurt, and I used flax seed and wheat germ instead of wheat bran.  And I'm out of vital wheat gluten.  Don't judge.

And because I made them myself, I made them in fun shapes!!

Try them... they are wonderful - and pretty easy.

Shaped Sandwich Thins

1 egg
1 1/4 c water or whey (from making yogurt)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 c whole wheat flour
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c wheat germ
1/4 c flax seed meal
2 tsp yeast
1/4 c sugar (I totally forgot this in my first try, but leave it in... it would be better with it)
1 tsp salt



Combine all ingredients in your bread machine in the order specified by your machine.  Run through the dough cycle.  On a floured surface, roll small portions of the dough thinly (~1/8" thick).  Cut with desired cookie cutters.
See the dots?
With a wooden skewer or a chopstick, dock the shapes several times (this keeps them from over-rising) - this is poking the dough, not really making holes all the way through.
Risen - going into the oven.  Including the blob of leftover dough at the bottom.
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Place shapes on cookie sheets and cover with towels while they rise for about half an hour.
All baked and puffy!
My version of the fish bread!


Letter sandwich thins!  Hurrah!
Bake for 10-12 minutes, and wrap in a kitchen towel when they are out of the oven.
Shapeless lump, tested for texture... and it's wonderful!


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I haven't seen the fishie shaped bread at the store, these are so cute!

    ReplyDelete