Sunday, April 17, 2011

Recipe: Maple Shortbread Cookies

I posted a poll on my Facebook page to see what you wanted to see me make this weekend.  The winner was homemade goldfish/cheddar crackers.

I made some last night, and they burned.  *sigh*

I will make a second batch hopefully tomorrow and hopefully not burn them, but in the mean time, I decided to make the runner up, maple cookies.

These are really simple.  I used my favorite maple shaped pastry press, but you can use any cookie cutter - a mini maple leaf would be perfect.

Use real maple syrup.  Maple flavored corn syrup doesn't cut it.  I also included maple flav-r-bites from King Arthur Flour, and they are wonderful, but not really necessary.  If you can find it, you could top them with a little maple sugar for extra punch.


Maple Shortbread Cookies

1 c butter, frozen
1/2 c real maple syrup, Dark Amber or Grade B preferred
1 tsp maple extract
1 c whole wheat flour
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c Maple flav-r-bites (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Shred frozen butter (a grating disc on a food processor works very well for this).

Pulse together butter, maple syrup, and maple extract in the food processor.  Add in flour and flav-r-bites if using, and mix until a ball forms.



Roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thickness.  Cut with desired cookie cutters and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Allow to cool on pans for a couple of minutes before transferring to wire cooling racks.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. these are scrumptious!!! I had the kind with the maple bits...the cookie itself is rich and crumbly but firm...the flavor is great --I can see these being added to other desserts say on a plate with a dish of homemade ice cream, or homemade pudding ...even as a decoration on a maple layer cake...this is really a very special cookie!!!!

    ReplyDelete