Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Recipe: Whole Wheat Taco Chicken Braid

I had some leftover rotisserie chicken from dinner the other night, and I decided to make it into something beautiful.

I can't wait to try this braiding technique with some other fillings... the kiddos loved it (and so did I!).

I made the dough for the bread in my bread machine (on timer) to have it ready for me when I got home from work.  You could use store bought bread dough, or pizza dough.  I have included my bread recipe.


Whole Wheat Taco Chicken Braid

Dough:
1 1//4 c whey (from straining yogurt) or water
2 c all-purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Filling: 
~1 1/2 c shredded rotisserie chicken
1/4 c green chili taco sauce
1/4 c salsa
2-3 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 small can corn, drained
1/2 c shredded Mexican cheese blend

Prepare the bread dough in your bread machine on dough cycle.  You could also make it by hand or in your stand mixer.  When the dough is ready, roll it out into a large rectangle (about the size of your cookie sheet) on a floured surface.


Preheat oven to 400 F.  Combine the filling ingredients except for the cheese, and spread onto the center of the rectangle.  Top with cheese.


To braid the dough, cut strips along either side of the filling, opposite from each other.

Braid by folding alternating strips over the filling. When you reach the ends of the rectangle, fold the dough over and press to seal.  Brush with a little melted butter or spray lightly with butter flavored cooking spray. 

Yums...
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and cooked through.  Let cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and enjoying.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment