Sunday, October 2, 2011

Recipe: Cider & Cinnamon Mini Scones


The wonderful folks at King Arthur Flour sent me some boiled cider to try out. I made cider doughnuts, and they were wonderful.  But, what I really wanted to try were scones with the boiled cider.


Image courtesy King Arthur Flour

I took the basic scone recipe from King Arthur Flour and modified it a bit to make these scones, and they are amazing.


I added in cinnamon chips and cinnamon flav-r-bites, but you could add in chopped apple if you wanted.

My scone tip is to use frozen butter that is shredded in your food processor (or a box grater).  I do this with most pastries.  It keeps the finished product flaky.


Cider & Cinnamon Mini Scones


2 3/4 c flour
1/3 c sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 c butter (frozen, shredded)
1/2 c Cinnamon Flav-r-bites
1/2 c Mini cinnamon baking chips
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c boiled cider
1/4-1/3 c milk (I added the milk into the measuring cup with the cider syrup, to 1/2 c total)


Pulse the frozen shredded butter with the dry ingredients together in a food processor.  Add in the cinnamon chips and flav-r-bites, and then the liquid ingredients.  Pulse just until a ball forms.


Preheat the oven to 425 F.  Turn the dough out onto a baking sheet and separate into two circles.  Pat into discs about 1/2" - 1" thick.


Cut into wedges, and to make mini scones, cut each wedge in half again.  Separate the pieces carefully.


Bake for ~15 minutes, until golden brown.


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Frozen grated butter is BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious Baker-WannabeOctober 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM

    just wondering.. do you use All Purpose flour or Whole Wheat or a mixture of both?

    i'm trying to make the grand transition to all wheat products.. but i'm having trouble finding baked good recipes for this, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Curious Baker-Wannabe:

    These were made with all-purpose flour. I often do at least half and half, though. If I am making yeast bread, I add in some vital wheat gluten and that helps with the texture. King Arthur Flour has a great Whole Wheat Baking Book that I'd love to get my hands on... good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete