Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Recipe: Baked Southwestern Wontons

I found the idea for these on Pinterest (I'm spending a lot of time over there, aren't I?  Well... it's addictive, what can I say?) and since I didn't have eggroll wrappers, only wonton wrappers, I improvised to create these, and they were a hit!  Also, they are super easy.  (This made a bit too much filling, but you can always use it in something else.  It would be yummy over nachos!

Baked Southwestern Wontons

1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes with diced green chilis, drained
1/2 c shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 package wonton wrappers

Mix the corn, tomatoes, and cheese in a bowl with the seasoning.  Preheat the oven to 425 F.  Place a small amount of filling in the center of each wonton wrapper.  Using a finger, put a little water along the edges of the wrapper and pinch the opposite edges together to form your dumplings.


Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Serve with salsa.

***********
A note: I also attempted to make these wonton wrapped string cheese... all the people Pinning them were saying "Bake instead of fry."  well.... The Boy helped me make them.  It was fun.

Before baking.
After baking.
After baking, they weren't pretty...

Still yummy, though... but I don't think I'd make them again.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I made the cheese sticks too, after seeing them all over pinterest--only I pan fried instead of baked. Still wasn't that good, and I'm also not making them again. :(

    Your southwest wontons look yummy though!

    -Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete