Sunday, October 23, 2011

Recipe: Black Cocoa Roll-out Cookies


This recipe is based on this one from Smitten Kitchen, which I have used before and adored.
Image courtesy King Arthur Flour
The good people at King Arthur Flour recently sent me a sample of black cocoa to try out, and I was super excited to try it in some Halloween cookies!

Black Cocoa Roll-out Cookies

3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp espresso powder (optional)
1 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 c black cocoa

Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and cocoas.  Sift together flour, salt, espresso powder, and baking powder.  Add the flour mixture to the butter and cocoa mixture slowly, and mix until smooth.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour (I chilled overnight).

Preheat oven to 350 F.  On a floured surface, roll cookie dough to about 1/8"-1/4" thick.  Cut into desired shapes (I used these cutters, which I adore),  and brush off any excess flour.  Put baking sheets in freezer for 5-10 minutes to help stop spreading of the shapes.

Bake for 8-11 minutes, until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.  Cool on wire racks and enjoy, or decorate if desired.


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love the spooky Halloween color :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look great...and I bet they were delicious! ~Mel @ KAF

    ReplyDelete