Saturday, October 8, 2011

Recipe: Caramel Cider Oatmeal Cookies


I saw this recipe on Pinterest, and I knew I had to do a take on them... I did not have the "powdered cider drink mix" that they use in their recipe, but I do have some of that handy dandy Boiled Cider from King Arthur Flour.
Picture courtesy King Arthur Flour
I also could not find plain caramels at my grocery store, so  I got some of these caramel creams.  They work, but the cookies would probably be better with plain caramels (Kraft brand is good, no idea why the store was lacking in them...)


I used this oatmeal cookie recipe from King Arthur Flour as my starting point.





So, dear readers, I give you:


Caramel Cider Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1/4 c granulated sugar
2 Tbsp boiled cider
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c quick oats (not rolled oats or instant oats)
10 caramel candies


Glaze: 
1/4 c confectioner's sugar
2-3 Tbsp boiled cider

Preheat oven to 350 F.   Cream together butter, sugars, boiled cider, and spices.  Mix in the egg and vinegar.  Add flour, oats, and baking soda.
Secret caramel filling!
Cut each caramel candy into four pieces.  Scoop out small balls of dough, and press a piece of caramel into each one.  Cover with just enough more dough to hide the caramel.

Bake for ~10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Mix together the glaze, using just enough boiled cider to reach a drizzling consistancy, and transfer to a pastry bag.  Cut a small hole in the end of the pastry bag and drizzle on top of slightly cooled cookies.    Cool completely and enjoy.
Cookies are ~10g carbs each


Pin It!

1 comment: