Sunday, June 5, 2011

Recipe: Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Streusel

I made this coffee cake as a variation from King Arthur Flour's recipe.  I've posted my changes below.

I made a double recipe, and I made them in bundt cake pans.  I shouldn't have... mostly because I have run out of Baker's Joy spray, which works so beautifully in the bundt pans to make them release... I sprayed and floured them, but it just doesn't get into the nooks and crannies as well.  Also, I don't think that things with hunks in them work very well in bundt pans for the most part.  The parts that cause a lot of breakage are the parts with more blueberries...
Some came out well...

Others did not...
Others were in the middle...

So, if you make this, make it in a 9"x13" pan, or 2- 8" cake pans. That's my advice.

But the cake itself?  Delicious.


Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Streusel
Modified from King Arthur Flour

Streusel
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c flour
1/4 c butter, softened
1/8 c oil
3/4 tsp lemon powder (or lemon zest)
1/4 c lemon bits (or candied lemon peel)

Cake
1/4 c butter, softened
1/4 c oil
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp Fiori di Sicilia (optional)
1 c All-Purpose Flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 c fresh or frozen blueberries, well drained

Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" baking pan or two 8" x 2" round pans.

Make the streusel: Whisk together the sugar, flour, lemon powder and salt. Gently toss the lemon bits until well coated.  Work the softened butter into the flour/peel mixture until it resembles granola, some larger chunks, some smaller. Sprinkle on the lemon oil and toss again to combine. Set mixture aside. 

In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light colored and fluffy.  Add eggs and beat well.  Stir in the sour cream and extracts.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  Add to the wet mixture slowly and mix until well combined, being careful not to over-mix.


Carefully fold in blueberries.  Scoop into prepared baking pans and top with streusel.  Bake for about30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.  Cool on a rack for about 15-20 minutes before serving.











Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry your cake didn't match your coming-out-of-the-pan expectations. Maybe the substitutions were to blame? Try the cake part of the recipe as written, then make just one substitution at a time (whole wheat flour or change in fat). We'd love to hear your results! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe? I blame the fact that I was out of Baker's Joy.. I've never had a problem with release when using that. And, the cake was ridiculously delicious! I can highly recommend the lemon bits in the streusel! I will make this again, in a non-bundt pan. :D

    ReplyDelete