Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recipe: Iced Coffee Concentrate

I don't know about you, but for me, summer is made much better with iced coffee. 

I saw Pioneer Woman's recipe for her iced coffee concentrate, but I don't need to make 2 gallons of the stuff at a time, so I read through the comments and decided to make some in my French press.  For a little extra kick, I poured some coffee into an ice cube tray in order to keep the ice from diluting my coffee.  I also stirred a little of my dulce de leche into it.  Not much.  Less than a teaspoon.  Just a little sweetness.

Here's a cool thing about the cold brewed coffee - it cuts the bitterness that you so often have with regular coffee.  I normally take 2 tsp of sugar in my coffee.  I didn't need that in this iced coffee. 

Try this today, and you won't regret it.  I have another press brewing...

Iced Coffee Concentrate

1/3 c ground coffee
3 c cold water


In an 8c French Press, combine the coffee grounds and cold water.  Stir, and place cover onto the French press.  Do not press down.  Leave on the counter for 8-12 hours.
Through a filter in a sieve into a bowl...

Press down, and then strain the coffee through a filter or cheese cloth.  (Save the grounds and put them on your garden or in your compost!)

Store in the fridge.

To serve:  Combine half and half with milk, adding a little simple syrup if desired.
The dulce de leche would have dissolved better if I'd have warmed it...

Mmmmm, caffeinated summer...

I used just a little of my Pressure Cooker Dulce de Leche.
Mmmm. coffee ice cubes...

For an extra kick, freeze some coffee in ice cube trays and use that to cool your drink.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment