Monday, June 27, 2011

Recipe: Strawberries & Cream Scones

The kids are going to be hanging out with my brother and his kids today (Boy's lunch to come), and I wanted to bring my brother some treats to thank him for watching them.

Scones!  Perfect!

I found this recipe on King Arthur Flour, and I followed it pretty closely.  I'll post the changes I made in my recipe below. 

I left off the glaze, but you could use it if you like.  I don't think they really need it.

Strawberries & Cream Scones
(Modified slightly from King Arthur Flour)

1/2 c diced fresh strawberries (2.5 oz by weight - this was 4 strawberries for me)
1/4 c sugar
2 Tbsp half & half or light cream (I used fat free French Vanilla Coffee Mate!)
2 c King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Perfect Pastry Blend
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
6 Tbsp frozen butter
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
a few drops Fiori di Sicilia, optional (I used it)
2/3 c diced fresh strawberries (3.5 oz by weight, 5 strawberries for me)



Preheat oven to 375 F.  In a food processor, combine the 1/2 c of strawberries with sugar and cream (or Coffeemate) until they are smooth.  Remove from the food processor and place in a separate bowl.  Whisk in the egg and extracts.  Set aside.

Place the shredding blade in the food processor.  Shred the frozen butter.  Replace the chopping blade in the food processor.  Add flour and baking powder and pulse until combined.

Pour the strawberry and cream mixture into the food processor while it's running.  Don't over process.

When the dough is just combined, pulse in the additional diced strawberries just until folded in. 

Scoop with a cookie scoop or by tablespoon onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until lightly browned.


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. oooh - I think I SO need to make these! They look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your treat looks yummy! Check out the Kids' Choice Chip + Fruit Oatmeal Cookies the next time you need a baked treat that will satisfy both the kids and your brother. Our website has a lot of recipes in the categories of Baking With Kids and Lunchbox Baking that may meet your needs and pass the picky palate of your future bakers. Irene @ KAF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look awesome, Irene! I'll be trying them for sure.

    ReplyDelete