Thursday, June 9, 2011

Recipe: Mini Strawberry Rhubarb Pies

Apparently, according to King Arthur Flour, it's National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day!  How could I resist such a delicious baking holiday?

I couldn't.  Not at all.

And of course, I made my pies mini. 

I modified their recipe a little to make my mini pies, and they are delicious! 

Try them!  They are fun!  I'll be putting one into The Girl's final packed lunch of the school year tomorrow. 

I do have a bit of advice.  This wonderful blogger that I found was very clever and used strips of parchment paper under her mini pies to help pull them out.  That would have been really handy.  Of course, I didn't see that until after my pies were in the oven...

Mini Strawberry Rhubarb Pies
(Astrid, modified from King Arthur Flour)

Pie crust for double crust pie (I use a box of store bought crust, as previously mentioned, I fail at pie crust)

1 c finely chopped rhubarb
1 c finely chopped strawberries
Scant 1/2 c sugar (2.9 oz by weight)
1 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 Tbsp Hi-Maize Natural Fiber (or corn starch)
1/8 tsp Fiori di Sicilia (optional)
1 Tbsp lemon juice powder (or 1 tsp lemon zest)
Preheat oven to 375.

Prepare pie crust - I used normal sized muffin tins for this one, not mini muffin tins.  For my crusts, a ramekin worked perfectly for the base of the pie crust, and a small circle biscuit cutter worked for the top.  This made 12 mini pies.

Press the larger circle into greased muffin pans, and set the small circles aside.  Refrigerate the crusts while preparing the filling.


In a bowl, combine the rhubarb and strawberries.  Stir in the other ingredients and coat the fruit well.

Scoop into the crusts.  Top with the smaller circles and pinch to seal.  Cut a small vent into the top crust (I used a tiny strawberry cookie cutter).  Brush with water and sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired.
Pretty! (Used a different camera setting... forgive the yellow tint)
 Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top of the crust is slightly browned.

Ok, so maybe I didn't seal the crusts so well...
Let cool for at least 10 minutes in the pans.  Carefully remove them and put them on a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.  Here's where having parchment paper strips under them would have been helpful... Some of mine didn't come out so well.  Some did.

And the ones that didn't turn out so well?  Still delicious.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. These look so awesome i can't wait to make them. I have lot's of rhubarb this yr. so glad you posted this. TY:)... Jackie

    ReplyDelete